Thursday, November 22, 2007

*drops one last post on his way out* Xavier Mohr of SLR resigns.

This topic came up on the general forums of CAPEX. The first post was an expression of disappointment with the resignation of Xavier Mohr of SLR after such a short time, this was my response:

When I look to invest I usually ask the CEO if they're putting in a 1 year or more commitment to their firm and I also ask them for how they'd plan a closure or transition. Privately, I've known that Xavier has been looking for a way to minimize his in world presence, his interest has come and gone with time and I know that SLR has been setting heavy on his conscience, that said, I expected this and planned my investments based on it.

SL is not like real world markets, the corps are groups of people pretty much pooled in an interest of making a profit if and however they can. Kind of like the clans on World of Warcraft, but using a more up-to-date stylization of financial structuring to help control ownership. In my eyes, it's a very convenient alternative to Second Life group setups. That said, it's wise to know your corp's leadership, to not just invest based on numbers or hearsay, but to actually talk to them and get to know them and their goals. My investors will tell you, my mind is open to picking, that's why many got on board with me to begin with.

That said, it's another case of, "If you do your homework, you know what you get, and if you don't.. it's not the CEO's fault." He can't come out and just say, "Oh, I'm thinking of resigning." When he has not yet made his decision as it'd be abandonment of his fiduciary duty and result in a direct stock crash right away and could be grounds for accusations of manipulation. It is only after the decision has been finalized that it could be announced without concern for market ethics.

Besides, I think it's more than possible to find someone just as passionate about growing SLR. It's just a matter of being picky and finding someone excited about second life media who has the talents and the skills. It won't be easy, but it can be done.

You'll only be disappointed by a stock you do not research well enough to understand its future.

Also, to those would-be CEOs. Unless you're a scam, it's not easy. Responsibility now binds you to the game. It's not just entertainment any longer, it's also a kind of a job. That can kill the joy for some folks, for me it's fun... driving.. a lil stressful at times but it's also what I thrive on. I really enjoy running DGD. Maybe it's just because I've been doing better than even I expected. Anyhow, don't rush into it, give it a lot of consideration. Not everyone will do good in business.. and the good times and the bad will affect your operations but you have to stick it out for shareholders through the bad times. I've had a number of times things looked sour for DGD. Ginko, The Bank.. we had money in each. Fortunately, close monitoring and vigilance saved the company from those disasters.

And this is why more than anything SL markets are still just part of a game. There's an entertainment factor involved. The CEO must want to run their corp or.. they may just say "I don't like SL anymore" and they're gone. Hopefully you're in a corp that has a shut down plan or a COB (continuity of business) plan that allows for an easy resolution. I know Xavier's had one for a while and it simply involves Arbitrage Wise of CAPEX picking up the corp for a while as they find new administration. That said, I think it's very wise for all investors to keep in mind the context of their investment. SL is a game, it is a virtual world, not a real secondary world that people try to tout it to be. If it were a real secondary world, you could not log out. You would not be able to grow disinterested. The greatest casualty cause for second life interest is probably ceo growing disinterest in THE GAME.... that said, happy Thanksgiving and careful, happy investing.

People get upset because I was running an exchange in second life, yet still called it a game. Listen folks, people blow thousands of dollars in the game industry daily. I call something what it is, I do not lie, I do not distort and try to make something out for more than it is in order to get your dollars in my corp or in the exchange it sits on. I will tell you the blunt truth as I know it and I always will. Just because there's a lot of money in it, doesn't make it real. How much have you invested in your home entertainment console? Is its media content real, or is it still media? Will Mario be jumping out of your WII any time soon? (Okay that may eventually happen with holograms, but it hasn't yet. Who knows what they have up their sleeves over there.) But I think many of you have gotten my point. And yes, when I started DGD, I asked investors to invest in a game world corporation. It is not a real company. I am not legally obligated to them in any way, but I am obligated by trust and that trust won't be violated. I don't want to ruin any one's fun. I actually have a moral spine unlike some of the crooks who do participate in some of these markets. I will call for accountability where none is present even if people do not like me doing so. Because even if it's not a regulated environment, even if it is not the real world, I still believe in the strength of the human spirit, integrity, honesty, and the values which are the better side of our species even if the vast majority of the population does not and even if I do parade around in the game as a dragon.

1 comment:

Xavier Mohr said...

Maelstrom,

Thanks for your post. Despite one detractor at the CapEx forums post-announcement who irritated me a bit, I can only say that I have been flooded with well-wishes beyond what I expected and am happy overall with how this is turning out.

At present I have two names before me for SLR CEO replacement, both of which are highly impressive. I am expecting more faces to come into my line of vision for this endeavor within the next week.

I must say that this move comes as no surprise for most of the big talking heads in the SL financial community... I have made my intentions clear through hints and outright disclosures to a number of people who I feel needed to know.

There are no secrets with me, so I have nothing more to disclose as far as reasons for this move than I already disclosed in my letter.

I would just like to add, however, that Second Life has been very good to me. I have earned respect beyond what I deserve, humbling recognition for efforts I have been involved in, and just in general a good name that I am proud to bear.

All of this being said, as I indicated in my letter, I don't plan to leave SL totally. Odds are you're still going to see me online, you're still going to see me posting regularly at SL Reports (and in the CapEx forums), and more.

Specifically I plan to get more involved in the Second Life financial community as an activist for what I feel is right and good, I plan to get to know the CEOs, investors, and exchange staffers much better than I do now. I plan to educate myself with the tidbits of info that I feel are missing.

Maybe sometime in the future you will see me as a CEO of something again... or even with just a private business. I don't know. I just don't want to plan for that right now.

I have been in Second Life a year now, and I feel I have accomplished a tremendous amount in that time. I have learned new things, new concepts and skills I have even carried over to real life. I've made new friends, many of which I have also carried over to real life.

But there is also a lot to be said for freedom. Above and beyond what I mentioned in my letter, I just feel like for once it would be nice... to say... leave the country for a month. Just randomly disappear to follow up on something I am curious about. Explore things I am thinking about. All of this without obligation to log on once a day to perform random tasks associated with my SL efforts.

Now.. aside from a few weeks in South America after Christmas.. I have no plans on disappearing. But it will be nice to. I like to think I am a stand-up guy that gives my best effort in everything, and fulfills obligations, but I have to say.... it will be nice to be "Free..." at least for the time being.

Take care, and keep up the good work. I have known you for a long time in SL terms and I have to say what you are doing is important for our community. You are respected here and it is well-deserved. Keep fighting for the truth, and keep working for those in the Second Life financial community who would have no voice without yours.

Respectfully,

Xavier Mohr